Health Sciences and Social Services
National Certificate: Occupational Health, Safety and Environment, NQF 2
For learners working in any type of workplace with a need for Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE)
In South Africa and internationally, the social and economic impact of occupational safety, hygiene, health, and environment is great.
This qualification is to equip learners working in any type of workplace with a broad understanding and knowledge of Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) concepts and practices with enough detail to enable them to function in a safe and healthy way and to deal with health and safety problems and issues.
Qualifying learners will be able to show responsibility, and independently and effectively manage themselves in the workplace regarding generic health and safety issues.
This Qualification addresses the following Critical Cross-Field Outcomes, in the indicated Exit Level Outcomes:
– Identifying and solving problems in the workplace in the process of dealing with and health and safety hazards and situations and the administration of health and safety functions.
– Working effectively with others in the maintenance and adherence of health, safety and environmental practices in the workplace.
– Organising and managing oneself and one’s activities responsibly and effectively so that all aspects regarding health, safety and environmental functions and practices are at hand, as and when required, to enhance these in the workplace and in the application of legislation.
– Collecting, analysing, organising and critically evaluating information pertaining to the application of health, safety and environmental legislation and the implementation of health, safety and environmental practices and functions.
– Communicating effectively with all the stakeholders who are involved in health, safety and environmental practices and functions.
– Using science and technology effectively and critically in the preparation and distribution of health, safety and environmental reports.
– Demonstrating an understanding of the world as a set of related systems through the proper application of systems, policies and procedures related to health, safety and environmental practices and functions.